Wednesday, May 19, 2010


Wednesday May 19, 2010 4:23 PM EDT
This feature called "Fire & EMS Blotter" is a weekly update of the activities of the Saint Paul Fire Department.

During the week of May 12 thru May 18, the Saint Paul Fire Department responded to 682 emergency calls. Here is a sampling of some of the emergency and non-emergency activities from information provided by the fire department.

VEHICLE FIRE - On May 12 at 3:09 a.m. on L'Orient Street and Minnehaha Avenue, an arsonist set fire to a vehicle that was found under the freeway bridge fully involved in fire. The vehicle was towed to the impound lot.

·   Arson if the 3rd leading cause of fires in Minnesota.

TRASH CAN FIRE - On May 12 at 9:49 p.m. on the 400 block of Van Buren Avenue witnesses heard an explosive sound and ran outside to see a trash can on fire. An aerosol can that was in the burning trash exploded. The fire was intentionally set.

BURNS - On May 12 at 2:37 p.m. on the 100 block of Geranium an 11 year old male was at home with friends when they were playing with paper and branches in a fire pit and his shirt caught fire. He was treated at the scene and transported to a nearby hospital for 2nd degree burns.

BICYCLIST STRUCK - On May 13 at 9:12 a.m. on Hoyt and Victoria Street North a 38 year old man was hit by a vehicle while riding his bike. He was thrown over the car causing the window to burst and a dent to roof of car at point of impact. He was wearing a helmet. Paramedics treated him at he scene and transported him to a nearby hospital.

PEDESTRIAN STRUCK - On May 13 at 3:04 p.m. paramedics raced to the scene where a 13 year old boy was struck by a car on University Avenue and Dale Street. Witnesses saw him fly into air and strike the car's windshield. He was treated and transported to a near by hospital.

UNATTENDED COOKING - On May 14 at 8:57 on the 1500 block of St. Paul Avenue crews responded to a fire where an occupant was heating oil in a pan to deep fry fish when she went downstairs to check her laundry. When she came out of the laundry room, people were leaving the building stating there was a fire on the third floor. She went to investigate thinking the oil started the fire. When she tried to get into her apartment she encountered heavy smoke and was forced to evacuate. The fire started on the front right burner and was the result of unattended cooking. Smoke damage was noted throughout the apartment with charring to the cupboards above the stove and extending outward. The power was shut off to the affected apartment and Red Cross was called. Damage is estimated at $20,000.

·   Careless cooking is the leading cause of building fires in Saint Paul. Never leave cooking unattended.

PEDESTRIAN STRUCK - On May 14 at 5:39 p.m. an 11 year old female was struck by a car as she rode her bike out of the driveway on the 1400 block of West Seventh Street. She was treated and transported to a nearby hosital.

COMMERCIAL DUMPSTER FIRE - On May 16 at 9:19 p.m. on the 400 block of Pierce Street a commercial dumpster was fully involved in fire with exposure damage to a vehicle. The Fire Investigation Unit is unable to rule out carelessly discarded smokers material or charcoal as a cause. This fire appears accidental.

STABBING - On May 17 at 5:33 p.m. on the 1800 block of East 7th Street a 16 year old male was stabbed. Paramedics treated and transported him to a nearby hospital.

TRASH CONTAINER FIRES - On May 18 at 2:02 a.m. fire companies responded to a series of three arson fires in one alley on the 80 block of Congress Street West and Winifred. All three fires originated within the wheeled trash containers, extension to one detached garage. Estimated damage to the garage is estimated at $15,000.

On May 18 at 2:04 a.m. on the 90 block of Bates Avenue there was a fire in a wheeled trash container in the alley. No extension to detached garage.

On May 18 at 2:45 a.m. on the 100 block of Bates Avenue, there were multiple fires originating in wheeled trash containers in the same alley, with extension to a 3-car detached garage and two vehicles. Paramedics were also dispatched for a 25 year old female who tried to put out one of the fires with a garden hose and suffered shortness of breath.

Fire in trash container one block from 5 similar incidents in same time frame on the 600 block of Plum Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment