Thursday, April 8, 2010

Community Message has been issued by the Saint Paul Fire Department

Community Message has been issued by the Saint Paul Fire Department.

Wednesday April 7, 2010 5:13 PM EDT
Saint Paul Fire & EMS Blotter for April 7, 2010

This feature we call "Fire & EMS Blotter" is a weekly update of the activities of the Saint Paul Fire Department.

During the week of March 31 thru April 6, the Saint Paul Fire Department responded to 637 emergency calls. Here is a sampling of some of the emergency and non-emergency activities from information provided by the fire department.

VEHICLE FIRE - A vehicle started on fire at 9th & Main Street on March 31, 2010 at 9:02 a.m. in a parking ramp. The fire was confined to the engine compartment and extinguished with the aid of the foam truck. This fire is accidental as a result of a malfunction in the engine compartment.

VACANT BUILDING FIRE - On March 31 at 6:11 p.m. on the 40 block of Hawthorne Avenue, a caller reported seeing a broken basement window and smoke coming from a vacant building. Upon arrival, crews found heavily charred mattresses against the wall in the basement that had mostly self extinguished because of lack of ventilation. This fire is under investigation at this time. Damage is estimated at $42,500.

CARELESS DISCARDED SMOKERS' MATERIAL - On March 31 at 5:24 p.m. crews raced to the scene on the 1300 block of West Minnehaha Avenue after a neighbor called reporting the deck being on fire. The neighbor reported seeing a small flame approximately one hour before the fire from a small flower pot. She thought the occupant was home and burning some type of device on the deck. After returning to the window an hour later she discovered the deck on fire and called 9-1-1. The occupants returned home a short time after the fire was extinguished. The electrical meter was also damaged and Xcel was on scene. This fire is accidental in origin and cause. Damage is estimated at $10,000.

BURNS - On March 31 at 7:59 a.m. on the 800 block of Albert Street a 44 year old male had been working on his stove when it flashed over. Paramedics treated him at the scene and transported him to a nearby hospital.

CARELESS DISCARDED CIGARETTE - A fire started in the rear store room on April 1 at 2:39 p.m. on the 700 block of Fourth Street East. Occupants would use this area to smoke. An improperly disposed cigarette caused the fire when it came in contact with combustibles that were underneath the table. Damage was contained to the room of origin. The fire is accidental. Damage is estimated at $5,500.

JUVENILES PLAYING WITH LIGHTER - A fire was caused by juveniles playing with a lighter at 3:55 p.m. on April 1 on the 2200 block of West Seventh Street. They were burning a bug on the comforter of their bed with a lighter they found in a kitchen drawer. They notified their babysitter of the fire and fled the apartment. They have been referred to the fire department's Fire Play Intervention Program. For further information about Fire Play Intervention, call the fire department's Public Education Office at 651-228-6203. Damage is estimated at $11,000.

CARELESSLY DISCARDED CIGARETTE - A carelessly discarded cigarette by juveniles caused an estimated $5,050 damage to a front porch on the 1200 block of Cook Avenue on April 1 at 1:56 p.m. The cigarette was thrown in a box containing papers, clothing, and other miscellaneous items. The fire was reported and extinguished by a neighbor with a dry chemical extinguisher. The fire is accidental in nature and the juveniles will be reffered to the Juvenile Fire Play Intervention Program. For further information about Fire Play Intervention, call the fire department's Public Education Office at 651-228-6203.

PEDESTRIAN STRUCK - On April 3 at 7:09 p.m. on Baker and Chippewa, paramedics raced to the scene of a pedestrian struck. A 29 year old female had been struck by a motor vehicle. She was transported to a near by hospital.

LIGHT FIXTURE FIRE - On April 4 at 5:10 p.m. on the 600 block of Selby Avenue, a report of flames and smoke was reported. Fire companies extinguished the fire with lightwater. Burn patterns indicated that the fire started in the outdoor light fixture. The plastic fixture melted and started the bottom portion of the siding on fire when it dripped to the floor. Upon closer examination, the 60 watt fixture contained a 100 watt lightbulb. The inside wall switch was in the "on" position. Damage is estimated at $5,000.

FALL – On April 5 at 5:50 p.m. a 15 year old male was playing basketball with friends when he jumped on a bench and fell backwards injuring himself. Paramedics treated and transported him to a nearby hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment