Thursday, June 10, 2010


Community Message has been issued by the Saint Paul Fire Department.
Thursday June 10, 2010 9:39 AM EDT

This feature called "Fire & EMS Blotter" is a weekly update of the activities of the Saint Paul Fire Department.

During the week of June 2 thru June 8, the Saint Paul Fire Department responded to 671 emergency calls. Here is a sampling of some of the emergency and non-emergency activities from information provided by the fire department.

ELECTRICAL FIRE - On June 2 at 4:50 p.m. after running the dishwasher for 5 minutes occupants could smell smoke in their home on the 600 block of White Bear Avenue. After checking the outlet used for the dishwasher that was located under the sink they discovered a small amount of fire. The fire was due to an electrical malfunction of the outlet. The smoke detector had previously been removed from the kitchen by the occupants because of accidental alarms.

DUMPSTER FIRE - Carelessly discarded smoker's material started a fire in a dumpster on the 1400 block of Magnolia on June 2 at 4:46 p.m.

FALL - On June 2 at 12:19 p.m. on the 1100 block of Montana Avenue West a 76 year old man fell off of a ladder approximately 10', landing on the concrete. He was treated at the scene and transported to a nearby hospital.

·   Accidental falls are the leading cause of non-fatal injuries to our elderly.

ELECTRICAL FIRE - Fire crews were dispatched to smell of smoke in a townhome on the 600 block of Linden on June 3 at 10:20 p.m. Residents had made the 9-1-1 call and evacuated. Fire crews found a small fire on a bed in an upstairs bedroom. The fire was caused by an electrical "hair straightener" left on and forgotten on the bed. The device created enough heat to smolder then ignite a small fire on the bed. Damage limited to a 2 foot circle on the bed. The fire was put out by firefighters with a light water extinguisher. Light smoke damage in bedroom. Damage is estimated at $700.

SAFE KIDS FUN NIGHT – More than 500 children and their parents participated in a Safe Kids Fun Night event at Bruce Vento Elementary School on June 3. Participants practiced fire safety, learned about electrical safety from Xcel Energy, learned pedestrian and bike safety, Safer Routes to School program, and severe weather training from Saint Paul's Department of Emergency Management. They also got to meet Saint Paul firefighters and paramedics and see close up a fire engine and an ambulance.

·   To host a Safe Kids Fun Night in YOUR neighborhood, contact the Saint Paul Fire Department at 651-228-6203.

ASSAULT - On June 3 at 6:51 a.m. on the 1000 block of Payne Avenue a 45 year old male was assaulted while working. Paramedics treated and transported him to a nearby hospital.

SHOOTING – On June 4 at 9:01 p.m. on the 700 block of Marshall Avenue, a 37 year old male was shot several times. Paramedics treated and transported him to a nearby hospital.

FIXTURE FIRE - On June 5 at 4:39 a.m. on the 500 block of Asbury Street a hole burned through the wood floor where a clip-on halogen bulb lamp for a salt water aquarium had landed. Damage is estimated at $1,000.

PEDESTRIAN STRUCK – On June 6 at 8:12 p.m. at 6th Street and Hope Street, a 23 year old woman was hit by a motor vehicle. She was treated and transported to a nearby hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment